USDA and project-Homes
Lighting the Way, the cooperative’s employee non-profit organization, is building partnerships with USDA and project:Homes to help local co-op members make improvements to their homes, making them safer and more energy efficient.
project:HOMES is the lead weatherization agency in the region, allowing the organization to make energy improvements to homes and apartments in 7 cities and 18 counties in Virginia, including Accomack and Northampton. project:HOMES improves lives by improving homes through energy conservation work in the home. The organization’s work helps reduce energy loss, lower energy consumption and improve the health and safety of the home. A home that is made more energy-efficient is also made more affordable. This free weatherization program prioritizes services to seniors, people with disabilities and families with children.
In addition to the weatherization program, Lighting the Way is assisting USDA by helping local cooperative homeowners complete the necessary application process for loan or grant funding for home improvements. Also known as the Section 504 Home Repair program, this provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their homes or provides grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.
In some cases the USDA funding is enabling homeowners to make the necessary repairs to help them qualify for project:Homes’ weatherization improvements.
Since partnering in early 2019, the three organizations have completed several home-improvement projects throughout Virginia’s Eastern Shore, with a number of projects ready to start, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
To start the application process to see if you qualify for either program email Bowen at email@example.com or call 757.787.9750 to speak with an A&N Electric Cooperative member services representative.
Some Completed Projects:
- Horntown(USDA, project-Homes joint project) – ceiling repair, ramp replacement, floor repair and sidewalk repair
- Onancock (USDA project from A&N referral) – roof replacement, floor repair, front porch repair, gutters
- Melfa (USDA project from A&N referral) – roof replacement, floor repair, plumbing repairs, window replacement
- Tangier (USDA project from A&N referral) – roof replacement, ceiling repairs, mold remediation
- Cheriton (USDA project:Homes joint project from A&N referral) – ramp replacement, ceiling repair, exterior door replacement, plumbing repairs
- Painter (USDA project:Homes joint project from A&N referral) - roof replacement, gutters, floor repair, electrical work, kitchen cabinets, painting