A&N Electric Cooperative
Job Description and Specifications
Addresses member complaints and concerns, and coordinates workers for normal maintenance or emergency repairs to provide economical, reliable and efficient service following Cooperative guidelines. Monitors power flows, voltages and status of equipment on the transmission system, while ensuring the safe and reliable operation of the A&N system.
- Provide dispatch and monitoring services for A & N Electric Cooperative (ANEC) while adhering to all safety and operating rules, procedures and guidelines. Maintain logs of occurrences of events that occur during the work shift.
- To assist with the daily activities of the Operations Center and promote, whenever possible, goodwill and harmony within the Operations Department.
- Provide maximum service to our members by rendering prompt, efficient, and courteous service that will promote goodwill between the Cooperative and its members.
- To complete System Operations Training and/or AC/DC Electrical Theory classes.
- Reports to: Supervisor of System Control
- Direct: During outages, direct field crews; and maintain communication with the appropriate supervisors.
- Oversees: Dispatcher
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with members concerning outages and service complaints, and after determining the appropriate response to the concern of compliant, dispatch crews if necessary.
- Monitor SCADA and report alarms to proper personnel and be able to operate SCADA to assist field crews during outage restoration. Incumbent will also utilize the outage management system (OMS) to facilitate service restoration activities.
- Monitor operational equipment during each shift and communicate to appropriate personnel relating to outages reported by phone, by IVR, and other outage monitoring and alarm devices.
- Assist with SCADA testing which includes recloser and other substation equipment testing via SCADA.
- Direct and/or perform service restoration activities.
- Use the appropriate software systems to obtain position related information and provide information as requested from field personnel and other departments.
- Utilize the outage management system (OMS) to facilitate service restoration activities.
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly reports of operational events.
- Monitor and operate security systems.
- Create, assign and check returned service orders/work orders for complete and accurate information.
- Communicate with county law enforcement, fire and rescue departments, Miss Utility and other organizations concerning accidents and other situations involving A & N members, employees, and A & N property.
- Maintain, track and develop reports for all maintenance programs.
- Attend training sessions on operational procedures and SCADA operation and other software and systems relating to operations. Some travel may be required.
- Personally agree to adhere to and abide by the Cooperative’s safety policies and procedures. Attend required safety meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Establishes and maintains the following contacts and relationships for the purpose of coordination and communication:
- Supervisor of System Control: Assists with daily operations as needed.
- Construction Superintendent: Provides information, assistance and reports as needed.
- Duty Supervisors: Communicate whenever necessary to keep them aware of any problems, weather occurrences, continuity of system, or other changes in the system.
- Accounting Department: Communicate with on a regular basis, as needed.
- Engineering Department: Communicate with on a regular basis information concerning system abnormalities such as, loading, coordination, voltage levels, power factor, communication, etc.
- Public Relations Department: Communicate information concerning larger outages and storms in the service area.
- County sheriff’s departments, fire and rescue departments, emergency services personnel and coordinators: Relay and receive information concerning emergency conditions during routine as well as during storms.
- Power Suppliers: Assist with communicating with the appropriate personnel during outages affecting A & N substation and delivery points.
High school diploma required OR GED (General Equivalency Diploma) required. A two year post-secondary or Bachelor degree in a technical field is preferred, but not required. At least three years system operator experience and NERC Certification is preferred; however, all experience levels will be considered.
Upon hire, this person must participate in SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) training and other training related to operational functions, as well as taking courses to enhance operational knowledge, including the System Operations Certification course.
If the successful candidate is not currently NERC Certified, the applicant may be required to obtain NERC System Operator Balancing/Interchange and Transmission or System Operator Reliability certification credentials.
Experience in electric utility operations is preferred.
General knowledge of electric distribution operations. Must have basic skills required in dispatching of crews and communicating with the public, and basic knowledge of general office procedures, record keeping, and the use of business machines.
Abilities and Skills:
- Must be able to maintain composure while handling multiple tasks in a stressful environment during emergency situations and adapt to changing conditions quickly. Must have considerable skills in effectively dealing with a variety of people under difficult circumstances.
- Possess ability to read system maps and diagrams and communicate information to field personnel via phone and two-way radio.
- Must be able to differentiate importance of alarms as well as take action based on these alarms.
- Must possess basic computer skills, to include a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including, but not limited to: Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint as required by job responsibilities.
Most of the work is performed in the ANEC office, with occasional field trips required. Attendance of seminars, conferences and training sessions several times a year may be required. Overnight travel required on occasion. Must work beyond normal hours on a regular basis as required for completion of duties. Subject to call at any time for emergencies.
This position requires shift work. Shifts include ‘off’ hours, after hours, weekends, nights and holidays.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds unassisted and assist in moving objects in excess of 50 pounds.