A&N Preparing For Winter Storm
A&N Electric Cooperative (ANEC) is preparing for severe weather associated with a winter storm expected to move into the area tonight. Forecasters are calling for 4-8 inches of snow to potentially fall along the Eastern Shore of Virginia, beginning tonight and through Thursday morning.
All A&N Electric Cooperative crews will be on standby beginning today and will be ready to be dispatched to restore power if outages occur.
“We’ve implemented our emergency response plan and have mobilized our crews, strategically placing them to be set for tonight,” said Brian Charnock, ANEC’s Director of Operations and Construction Services. “We also have our contractors on standby to assist our crews if needed.”
Hazardous driving conditions are likely Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. And poor visibility in blowing snow is likely along the coast Thursday morning.
“We’re coordinating with VDOT for mutual assistance during the storm to help remove fallen lines across roadways,” Charnock said. “We’re also in contact with other cooperatives in our association who are able to assist us if we need them.”
During an outage ANEC crews work to restore power to critical needs facilities. From there crews will work on the cooperative’s main distribution circuits and branch out from there to restore electricity to other members affected by the outage.
If power should go out, please try to cut off heat pumps/space heaters, electric water heaters and other major appliances so that load will not be excessive when lines are being reenergized. After power has been restored for several minutes, gradually restart only those necessary appliances. After about 30 minutes you should be able to return to normal operation.
- Stay away from downed wires or damaged electric equipment. Touching energized wires can lead to injuries and death. If you see downed wires, call 911 or ANEC immediately.
- If you use a generator, never run it inside your home or garage. Some produce carbon monoxide fumes, which can be deadly.
- To report an outage, please call use our SmartHub app or call 1-800-431-2632. Please report outages using these two methods and not on social media.
- Live outage information can be found on our website www.anec.com. Our outage map is also available on mobile devices.
- Outage information is also available through local TV and radio stations.
- Outage information will be updated hourly on ANEC’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
Tasley office will open at 9:30 a.m. Jan. 4th
|Due to the impending inclement weather the A&N Electric Cooperative Tasley office will open two hours later than normal on Thursday, Jan. 4th at 9:30 a.m.|