Local Youth Tour Attendees Selected
The winners of the annual essay contest to determine which local students represent A&N Electric Cooperative at the annual NRECA Youth Tour have been selected. Students were graded anonymously by a panel of judges who selected a winner to represent each participating high school. The winners are:
Greta Bunce a rising senior at Broadwater Academy; Arianna Fletcher, a rising senior at Nandua High School; Wendy Lin, a rising senior at Northampton High School; Schyler Parks, a rising senior at Tangier Combined School; and Nykera Wallop, a rising junior at Chincoteague High School.
The essay contest is open to all high school and home school juniors living in the cooperative’s service area. A student from each area high school was eligible to attend the Youth Tour.
Every June, as many as 1,500 high school students from across the country spend a week in the nation’s capital as part of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. The students are sponsored by electric cooperatives – cooperatives that are committed to educating America’s rural youth about our country and the role electric cooperatives play in developing strong rural communities.
This year’s local Washington Youth Tour representatives will take part in:
- A guided tour of the Jefferson Memorial;
- A sunset Potomac River Boat cruise;
- A tour of Fort McHenry, Baltimore’s Inner Harbor and a Baltimore Orioles game;
- A tour of Arlington National Cemetery
- A tour of the Lincoln/World War II/Vietnam/Korean/Martin Luther King Memorials
- A theater production of “Scottsboro Boys;”
- A Capitol tour, including a meeting with local U.S. Representative Scott Taylor.