Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I start service?
If you already have an account, call or visit our office for assistance. If you do not currently have an account you can learn more here.

How much does it cost to start service in my name?
A connection fee in the amount of $20.00 is required for connection of service. A deposit may also be required. If you currently have an account, please call or visit our office to determine the correct amount to be paid. If you do not have an account, a refundable $5.00 membership will also be charged. We will contact you with your fees after we have processed your application. If you owe an unsettled debt to the cooperative, this will also need to be paid prior to your account being connected. 

What is my deposit based on?
Your deposit is based on your payment history, either with A&N Electric Cooperative or previous utilities, and the size of the bills at the location where you are connecting service. In general, your deposit will be equivalent to two months' bills. A&N Electric Cooperative will accept a letter of good credit from your present utility in lieu of a deposit. 

When will my deposit be refunded?
Residential deposits are refunded after 12 consecutive on time payments are made, with your security deposit being credited to your 13th bill. For commercial deposits, 24 consecutive on time payments are required. If you choose to pay your deposit in installments, the 12 or 24 months would start after the last installment has been paid. When you close your account, your deposit will be refunded as a credit toward your final bill. 

How long does it take to have service connected if I am a first time member?
Once we have received any needed paperwork and all fees have been paid, your account can be connected as soon as the following business day. If you are connecting a new service through the Engineering department, more time may be necessary. 

Do I need to be there when you connect the service?
No, but we do ask that you turn off your breakers before we arrive. 

How can I submit a name change?
We ask for a signed membership form with your new name and a copy of your government issued photo ID reflecting the change. 

How do I add my spouse to my account?
A married couple can sign and submit a membership application along with a copy of your spouse's photo ID and proof of social security number. 

How do I remove a name from my account?
The account holder whose name will be removed can contact the office to request the change. We will send you a new membership application to sign and return. If the account holder you would like to remove is deceased, please provide a copy of his or her death certificate. 

Why is it important to report my contact information to the Cooperative?
To ensure that you receive your paper bill, always update your account when your address changes. It's also important to notify us of address changes after you close your account because any final bill, capital credit allocation notices and/or refunds will be mailed to the last known address on file. 

Update your primary phone number so we can contact you if we have account questions, need to notify you of a planned outage, or are conducting a member satisfaction survey. In addition, an automated courtesy call is typically sent to alert you of a past due balance. 

I signed up for paperless billing but have not received a notification. What do I do?
To ensure you will receive notification when your bill is ready, please log onto SmartHub and select Manage Contacts under the Notifications tab. Check that your email address is listed under contact. 

Can anyone pay on my electric account?
Yes, anyone can make a payment on an electric account. However, we can only share account information, including the account balance with an account holder or a 3rd party contact. 

Why is my bill so high?
Bills are based on the amount of electricity usage. Usage tends to be higher in the winter and summer months due to heating and cooling needs. The dates of usage are listed in the gray box that runs across the middle of your electric bill. 

How is my meter read?
We are able to remotely read most meters from our office. For other meters, a meter reader visits your location to take a reading. 

Has the cost of electricity increased?
Since our rates are regulated by the State Corporation Commission, they are not subject to change regularly. However, the Surcharge covering increased capacity charges passed on from Old Dominion Electric Cooperative, A&N Electric Cooperative's wholesale power supplier, and the Energy Adjustment are passed on to the consumer and are subject to change. 

What is Advance Metering Infrastructure?
Advance Metering Infrastructure, or AMI, is a system that allows the Cooperative to measure, collect, and analyze energy use remotely.

How do I apply for the budget program?

To apply, please complete and submit the budget billing form to our office. We will review your account to determine eligibility and you will be contacted.

What is the process for getting an outdoor light?

To get an outdoor light, you would need to contact our Member Services Department (757-787-9750). They will assess where you want the light and what your fees will be. Monthly fees vary based on the type of light installed.

If I am disconnected for non-payment, what do I have to pay to reconnect my service?
To reconnect an account that has been disconnected for non-payment, the total account balance plus the following fees must be paid: 

  • Additional deposit as determined by A&N Electric Cooperative

  • Reconnect fee

    • $40.00 - during office hours (7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday) or

    • $60.00 - after office hours and weekends or holidays

Page Features: